Saturday 7 January 2012

NEW YEAR'S PUPPIES AND KITTENS

Yesterday morning a Sunderland Echo photographer called round at the shop to take photos of some puppies for a feature on us in the paper. I went there as well to take some photos. You've seen these puppies before in this blog when they were a week old and looked like furry slugs. They look a lot different now and have their own distinct personalities. I picked one up (third photo, far left) and she just snuggled against my chest and didn't move the whole time I held her. Their mother is a sweet small german shepherd cross and their father a mastiff cross and they are going to be BIG.








In the afternoon I had to go to Carole's to deliver a week's worth of cat food and also collect all her black sacks full of soiled cat bedding and waste to take to the council tip. Because of my recent problems with my shoulder I managed to get Mark, a new helper at the shop, to come along. It would also give him a fuller appreciation of what sort of things we do. As thing happened, it turned out to be a longer trip than expected.

We'd just unloaded the food and were starting on the smelly sacks when Carole got a call from Lisa who runs a pet taxi service. Lisa had been at the PDSA hospital at Heworth in Gateshead where the staff asked her if she could help with three kittens they'd just had handed in, so she called Carole who could, who asked me if I'd go pick them up, which I did, with Mark.

Apparently they'd been found at some local park. Translated that means I think their owners just didn't want them. People tell a variety of lies when they're trying to get shot of their pets. To be honest, I don't care about the excuses. No matter what the reason, if we have space we'll take them, if we haven't we won't.

The kittens, around 8-10 weeks I guessed,  were used to being handled and should find homes pretty quickly. One has already been re-homed this morning.

Only two quickly taken snaps at the PDSA place I'm afraid.

No comments: